Der Wille Zur Macht
Sign in to follow this  
Samus Aran

Movie Pass "debacles"

Movie Pass has been quite the subject in the news lately and likely will be talked about for awhile. This thread is the place to do it.

• Like 2

MoviePass Subscription Woes Cause Huge Losses, Shareholder Lawsuit

Shareholders have also filed a class action lawsuit to be compensated for the drop in stock that began last month, as MoviePass' stock fell below $1 per share following outages during the premiere of Mission Impossible: Fallout, which later led to the public news of MoviePass running out of money.

This doesn't bode well for Movie Pass.

As of closing on Tuesday, Helios and Matheson's stock was at $0.05 per share.

This does not look good.

After months of loss, MoviePass announced in June it would have a price surge for select films starting in August. In early August, the company then made the public announcement that it would keep its price at $9.95, but would limit the offering to three films per month. CEO Mitch Lowe issued an apology to customers after the outages in July and promised that changes were coming to keep the service available to customers.

Unreliability...While $9.95 a month covers 3 movies and does save... generally most people don't like to put their hope in things that aren't dependable.

MoviePass Works Great for Limited Users, Everyone Else Should Seek Another Filmgoing Subscription

It also had an annual plan with unlimited movies but has since abandoned it, and some annual subscribers have left because of failed service commitments and are currently seeking a class action lawsuit to get refunded.

I wish those people all the luck in the world in succeeding.

MoviePass can't keep enough money in the bank each day right now to make it a viable service.

I do wonder if Movie Pass is purposely making their available "next to none" on purpose to help make up some losses.

MoviePass is an unpredictable service.

AND unreliable.

When MoviePass runs out of money for the day, it usually pulls any remaining showtimes left in the app, so you'll get the dreaded "There are no more screenings at this theater today" warning.

This seems to happen fairly quickly and easily...

• Like 1

MoviePass may have found a way to stop losing money on every subscriber, but it could lead to the company's demise

The dirty little secret about movie-ticket subscription services, like MoviePass, is that the less that people use the service, the better it is for the company. And it seems that lack of usage may be the only thing keeping MoviePass afloat.

This makes me think the suddenly severely limited availability is on purpose.

But it's a good thing for MoviePass if subscribers aren't actually going to see movies — as long as they don't cancel the service.

This could be why they're making it so I can't cancel and making the available worse than "slim pickings". Their excuse? "We've had to limit out availability". They've more than limited it.

They kept charging me for a year after I asked to cancel. I had to get a lawyer threaten to sue them just to get all that money back. It did help that I recorded my initial call with them.